Baptism, the Eucharist, and the sacrament of Confirmation together constitute the “sacraments of Christian initiation” whose unity must be safeguarded.
The reception of the sacrament of Confirmation is necessary for the completion of baptismal grace. For “by the sacrament of Confirmation, the baptized are more perfectly bound to the Church and are enriched with a special strength of the Holy Spirit. Hence they are, as true witnesses of Christ, more strictly obliged to spread and defend the faith by word and deed”(Catechism of the Catholic Church, 1285).
The effects of Confirmation
From this fact, Confirmation brings an increase and deepening of baptismal grace:
– it roots us more deeply in the divine filiation which makes us cry, “Abba! Father!”;
– it unites us more firmly to Christ;
– it increases the gifts of the Holy Spirit in us;
– it renders our bond with the Church more perfect;
– it gives us a special strength of the Holy Spirit to spread and defend the faith by word and action as true witnesses of Christ, to confess the name of Christ boldly, and never to be ashamed of the Cross (Catechism of the Catholic Church, 1303).
Confirmation will take place in May 2024. This year’s programme is now closed.
Applications for the 2025 programme will be invited during the summer of 2024; please look out for announcements in the weekly newsletter.
Applications will be open to young people in Year 10 or above (aged 14 – 15 years) who are parishioners of St. John’s. They will be asked to confirm that they understand that full participation in the parish Confirmation Preparation Course will give them the opportunity to explore their Catholic faith and understand the meaning of the Sacrament of Confirmation. They will be asked to promise that they will devote the necessary time and effort throughout the course so that they can make their own informed choice about whether they wish to be signed by the gift of the Holy Spirit.
Some young people may not be ready to participate and engage in everything that sacramental preparation for Confirmation requires, in which case it is quite acceptable to postpone until they are older.
Download the Smallest Catechism of the Catholic Church – click here.
St. John The Evangelist Catholic Church
59 The Avenue, Tadworth,
Surrey KT20 5DB
Office Contact Number: